The Role of the Gaming and Wagering Commission of Western Australia
The Gaming and Wagering Commission of Western Australia is responsible for administering the law relating to gaming and wagering, subject to the Gaming and Wagering Commission Act 1987, the Casino Control Act 1984, the Betting Control Act 1954 and the Racing and Wagering Western Australia Act 2003
The broad objectives of the Gaming and Wagering Commission in relation to the gaming and wagering industry are to:
Its duties in relation to the gaming and wagering industry are to:
- keep under review the conduct, extent and character of gambling operations and the provision, use and location of gaming and wagering facilities;
- formulate and implement policies for the scrutiny, control and regulation of gambling activities, taking into account the requirements and interests of the community as a whole and the need to minimise harm caused by gambling;
- perform the functions of the Commission prescribed by or under the Racing and Wagering Western Australia Act 2003 and administer all matters relating to those functions;
- cause licences, permits approvals, authorisations and certificates, as appropriate, to be issued in relation to persons, premises, casinos, facilities, gaming, equipment and gambling operations;
- administer a scheme for the collection and verification of the payment of the racing bets levy and bookmakers' betting levy.
The Structure of the Gaming and Wagering Commission of Western Australia
In accordance with the Gaming and Wagering Act 1987, the membership of the Commission must consist of:
- the Director General of the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor, who holds the position of ex officio Chairman of the Commission, and
- between five and seven members appointed by the Minister for Racing and Gaming as persons of integrity, good repute and of relevant experience.
Each member of the Commission, except for an ex officio member, is appointed for a maximum period of three years, but is eligible for reappointment after that period.
Gaming And Wagering Commission of Western Australia
|POSITION ||NAME |
|Chairperson ||Mr Barry Sargeant |
Director General, Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor
|Member ||Mr Andrew Duckworth |
|Member ||Mr Robert Bovell |
|Member ||Mr Kevin Harrison |
|Member ||Ms Colleen Hayward |
|Member ||Mr Trevor Fisher |
(membership as at 1 February 2016)